By Deal Town

Deal eventually ended their eight-match run without a win in convincing style at the Charles Ground on Saturday.

But at half-time, when the Hoops went in trailing 1-0 despite having had much the better of the first 45 minutes, another frustrating afternoon looked on the cards for Derek Hares’ side.

Holmesdale, relegated from the Southern Counties East League Premier Division last season, managed only two serious efforts on goal in the first half. The first, a 20-yard volley from Danny Gannon which bounced awkwardly just in front of Deal keeper James Tonkin, gave the Bromley outfit a 17th-minute lead and then, five minutes before the break, Reggie Yembra’s diving header struck the crossbar.

Otherwise the half was a familiar story of the Hoops dominating possession but not being able to convert it into goals either because of their own off-target shooting, the good work of Holmesdale keeper Jordan Clark, or by a linesman’s flag for offside after Joe Reeves had followed up to score following another block by Clark.

So it meant the Hoops still had it all to do in the second half if they were to end their recent poor run – and they did so in emphatic fashion. It was Reeves who started the ball rolling with a 61st-minute equaliser after Dan Adams’ initial effort had come back off the woodwork.

Five minutes later Deal were in front. Connor Coyne led a break from inside the Hoops’ half which ended with Andy Miller finishing in style.

With Grant Bagley and Luke Bigginton providing a solid central defensive wall in front of Tonkin, Holmesdale’s attacking threat remained slim and Deal were able to relax in the last 20 minutes after Coyne made it 3-1 with a sweet turn and volley on the edge of the box.

And Coyne was also involved in Deal’s final goal, playing a neat one-two with Miller who then added his second of the game from an acute angle.

Deal: Tonkin, Paxman, Bigginton, Bagley, Hark (Smith 75), Reeves (Alexander 77), Anderson (O’Brien 63), Scott, Miller, Coyne, Adams.

Attendance:  83

2 Responses

  1. Got to admit,that with the likes of Walsh and Hill missing,the teams’ record against lower league opposition and going one down,it looked like a case of “deja vu” 🙁
    Once they had levelled, you could see the confidence return to their game. Some neat,passing football (on the ground),resulted in them scoring the goals which put the game out of reach of the opposition.
    Some more of that is needed on Saturday,against the”Fish”. We need to start picking up points soon and climb that table.
    Let’s hope the injuries clear up for this game and we can put out a near full strength team.
    Good luck to all.

  2. Have to agree it didn’t look good at half time especially with fine goalkeeping.Whatever was said at the break
    got the team going.
    It was great to get the ball down and pass because that was the turning point and Deal took charge and once in front the next round was a formality.
    With injured players to return hopefully Deal can move up the table.
    It was a nice way to celebrate my birthday and also in the knowledge that Deal can still pass the ball in fine style leaves me confident that this will happen sooner rather than later.
    Come on you Deal.!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More posts you might like...


You will have noticed this but we are proud to announce the main stand is officially the ‘Derek Hares Stand’. Having taken over in 2003,

Read More »


We are delighted to confirm that 18 year-old Jamie Kennedy has agreed terms to stay at the Charles Ground, ahead of our 24/25 Isthmian League

Read More »