By Deal Town

The Hoops’ failure to “close out” Saturday’s first meeting when 2-0 up at home came back to bite them on Tuesday night as they bowed out of the FA Cup in this preliminary round replay.

Deal had gone into the tie hoping they could pull off a repeat of what had happened in the previous round against Corinthian, whom they had overcome in a replay after having again lost a 2-0 lead in the first match.

And the Hoops started brightly enough in Tuesday’s Glebe re-match, including having strong appeals for an 18th-minute penalty turned down when Ryan Philpott appeared to be tripped in the box.

But their Chislehurst opponents then grabbed the lead six minutes later when Lee Scott’s defensive header deflected off a Glebe player into the path of Adam Marsh, who scored with ease.

Glebe also had a “goal” disallowed for offside in the 40th minute before the Hoops forced four successive corners just before the break without any end product.

And Glebe then took control of the tie when Brian Zepo put the hosts two goals up nine minutes into the second half.

The Hoops tried to fight their way back into contention and, with 71 minutes gone, Charlie Walsh’s free-kick was brilliantly tipped on to a post and away to safety by Glebe ‘keeper Dean Nash.

And the home side then sealed their passage into the next round when substitute Fred Obasa made it 3-0 in the dying minutes.

Deal : Tonkin, Hark, O’Brien, Bigginton, K Smith, Scott, Walsh, Miller, Philpott (Coyne 60) Wilson, Adams (Alexander 56). Unused Subs: Zureiqi, Connelly, Gregory.

Attendance 122.

One Response

  1. Should have won Saturday!????
    £1925 prize money would have been earned and a further £3000 in the next round beckoned.
    All now gone????
    Let’s hope this defeat hasn’t taken it out on the team for Saturday’s tough game against Beckenham.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More posts you might like...


You will have noticed this but we are proud to announce the main stand is officially the ‘Derek Hares Stand’. Having taken over in 2003,

Read More »


We are delighted to confirm that 18 year-old Jamie Kennedy has agreed terms to stay at the Charles Ground, ahead of our 24/25 Isthmian League

Read More »